We believe that everyone should be able to enjoy the benefits of physical health.
For us Health & Wellbeing is about so much more than just physical exercise and fitness, rather it is about connected wellness in Body, Mind and Spirit.
Physical fitness is often an important step in that journey and one through which you can see benefits in emotional and spiritual health.
Our recently refurbished facilities provide everything you need to get started and to maintain good physical health.
Whatever your goal, be it to lose weight and fit into last year’s jeans; train for a marathon; improve your mobility after an operation or to work off the stresses of the day: our trained fitness staff can help you achieve it!
To find out more about our fitness facilities and timetables at our Romford branch click here.
For a list of Romford’s current classes with descriptions visit https://ymcatg.org/health-wellbeing/fitness-reopening/.
New to YMCA Thames Gateway?
We offer a unique fitness programme which designed to support new gym members in getting the most out of their workout.
Our induction programme consists of 5 one-to-one appointments with our certified Fitness Instructors, who make sure you get the most out of your fitness regime by:
- Setting goals
- Developing a tailored exercise programme
- Motivating you with personal training sessions
- Giving you nutritional advice along the way
- Reviewing your progress
All new YMCA gym members are offered the induction programme for free when they sign up.
As well as offering a wide variety of activities on our fitness timetable we also provide more specific programmes and facilities, some of which are in partnership with like-minded organisations. These include:
- Cancer Referral Programme
- Programmes and activities for aged 50 plus members
- Inclusive fitness and wellbeing activities for those with disabilities, additional needs and long term health conditions (Rehab/Yoga/Boccia)
- Fitness for Schools programmes and Kids Gym
- On and off-site After School Clubs
- A chapel and meeting place for church groups
- Mourning Coffee – bereavement group
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Widows and Widowers Club
- Women Together Group
- MacMillan Drop-in sessions
- Headway Brain Injury Support Group
- Breast Cancer Care Support Group
- Trussel Trust foodbank donation point
Grab a bite to eat
After a workout, relax and enjoy a freshly made salad, a home-cooked hot meal, panini or a fairtrade coffee. In our friendly diner you will always find a healthy option or two, making it easier to make good choices when it comes to food and drinks.